CMS Charlotte-Mecklenburg School Superintendent Proposes Extensive Rezoning - Round 2, April, 2017
CMS superintendent, Ann Clark, proposed a revised round of changes Tuesday, to include 75 of Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s 170 schools. Some of the proposed changes include new measures such as creating paired elementary schools to help improve diversity.
The number of students impacted remains unclear but, many county neighborhoods will see their elementary, middle and/or high school assignments change if the school Board ultimately approves the plan.
The student assignment review, which began in 2015, is designed to increase academic opportunities, deal with over-crowding and increase diversity.
Here are some of the highlights from the presentation:
● 138 schools will have a home-school attendance boundary defined
● Proposals will impact 75 schools
● SES diversity proposed to be improved in 21 schools
● Building utilization proposed to be improved in 32 schools
● Intact feed to be improved in 13 schools
● Proximity of home & school improved for students in 14 schools
● Changing boundaries at 14 of 18 neighborhood high schools: Ardrey Kell, Butler, East Mecklenburg, Garinger, Harding, Hopewell, Hough, Independence, Mallard Creek, Myers Park, South Mecklenburg, Vance, West Charlotte and West Mecklenburg. Many of the changes involve small areas moving from one zone to another.
*NOTE: Providence High School is no longer included in the proposed changes.
Other notes from the meeting:
● Implementation will begin no sooner than the start of 2018-2019 school year.
● Students who will be in the 5th, 8th and 12th grades during the 2018-2019 school year may remain at their current school assignment for that school year. This does not apply to schools whose grade configuration will no longer offer the 5th or 8th grade.
● Students who will be in the 11th grade in 2018-2019 may remain at their current school assignment for both the 2018-2019 and 2019-20 school years.
For the full list of maps and information proposed in round two to the school Board on April 25, 2017, read more here.
© Debe Maxwell | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | Charlotte-Mecklenburg School Superintendent Proposes Extensive Rezoning
Originally posted at http://www.icharlotterealestate.com/charlotte-mecklenburg-school-superintendent-proposes-extensive-rezoning-april-2017/