Charlotte New Construction - Next Steps - The Selection Process
Just when you think you're through making decisions - you've decided on the house of your dreams and signed all of the papers for your new home build...
Now, you're hit with the selection process (floor coverings, cabinet styles/colors/accessories, appliances, etc.). You're probably thinking that you've really got your work cut out for you.
In a way, you do! There's more than meets the eye when it comes to selections. I have been involved in this process with my clients several times in the last month, today being the most recent. So, I thought I would share my 'coaching style' that I use with my new construction buyers. Here are a few tips:
1. Your first step after choosing the right home, condo or townhome, and AT Contract-signing, be certain that you know when & where the selection process will take place. Mark the selection date on your calendar!
2. About a week prior to the selection meeting, as your Realtor®, I will notify you of this very important upcoming meeting with details as follows...
- On __date time , you are meeting with the builder's decorator to select your flooring, cabinets, appliances, door knobs, cabinet handles, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, shower doors, countertops, smart home features and any other item(s) which the builder allows offers as a selection.
- It is my job to let you know that you will be allowed to select the 'standard' items or 'upgrade' your selections as you so desire. The following are standard: (I will provide the list of standard items from your builder.)
- The costs to upgrade each item if the builder has shared that with me; many do not share those upgrade prices as they have become quite a bit more extensive than in years past. If the builder does not provide the cost sheet, the cost to upgrade each item will be discussed at the selection meeting.
- Attached is a copy of the floorplan with the room measurements which should assist you in getting accurate costs for each 'project.'
3. Some Buyers even bring their own decorator who already KNOWS their taste/style for an easier selection process. It has been my experience that the builder's decorators do a fine job but, this is again, YOUR choice.
4. Make certain that you allow plenty of time to make your selections as it can be a long process! I recommend at least 2 hours. And, be punctual!
When we meet for you to make the selections for your new home, please remember that as your Realtor®, I am just that - a REALTOR! I am not a financier, contractor or a decorator.
As your Realtor®, I don't ever want a client to regret making a choice that I recommend a year down the road--just because they thought I had more experience in this process.
My decorating tastes are not always the same as my client's! Yes, I will 'advise' but, I will not make selections for you or express my 'favorites' to you - this is your fabulous new house and we're there for you to make your dream home come to fruition! Additionally,
- Factor-in the resale value for your upgrades - let's talk about that together - that I CAN advise you on.
- Calculate the upgrades in relation to the amount of time you plan to OWN the home--can a standard feature be just as cost-effective? THINK RESALE!
- Stick to your budget!
Enjoy this exciting time and remember - if you're prepared, the transaction will go quite smoothly!
© Debe Maxwell | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | CharlotteBroker@icloud.com | Charlotte New Construction - Next Steps - The Selection Process
(THE best Charlotte home search available - no kidding!)
Direct: (704) 491-3310
GET THE CHARLOTTE PROPERTIES APP AT GOOGLE PLAY